GIs and trademarks are 2 categories of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) which deserve protection according to well established international rules.
oriGIn campaigns, and supports its members, to ensure that the national, regional and international rules concerning the relations between GIs and trademarks are correctly implemented, in particular with respect to the management of trademark applications conflicting with existing GIs by national and regional trademark offices.
On this, see also GIs at the national and regional level
To further help its members secure registration in foreign jurisdictions and/or fight against GI infringements, oriGIn established a list of law firms which distinguished themselves for their knowledge of GI laws and practice .
- 01/03/2017 - "Tequila" can now be registered as certification mark in the U.S.
- 08/11/2016 - Carta para el Sr. Antonio Campinos, Director Ejecutivo, European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO),concerniente la reciente resolución de 10/8/2016 del Departamento de Operaciones de la EUIPO, que acuerda la denegación de la marca colectiva de la UE nº 15314735, solicitada por el Consejo Regulador de la DOP Queso Tetilla
- 06/07/2016 - EU Commission guidelines for customs on in-transit goods suspected of infringing IPRs
- 15/03/2016 - Letter of support concerning opposition to Moldova Trademark Application No. 035942 PROSECCO PRONTO
- 23/12/2015 - Clarifications on the exhaustive character of the EU system of PDO/PGI protection (Ruling on the Trademark PORT CHARLOTTE)
- 16/12/2015 - Regulation (EU) 2015/2424 of the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union of 16 December 2015 amending the Council Regulation (EC) No 207/2009 on the Community trademark and Commission Regulation (EC) No 2868/95 implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 40/94 on the Community trademark, and repealing Commission Regulation (EC) No 2869/95 on the fees payable to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trademarks and Designs)
- 28/10/2015 - Recent rulings concerning TMs applications conflicting with GIs
- 21/10/2015 - Cafè de Colombia achieved a landmark decision for protection of the PGI In the EU
- 24/06/2015 - oriGIn Paper on Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council amending Council Regulation 207/2009/EC on the Community Trade Mark: relevant articles impacting on GIs
- 08/06/2015 - EU Commission, European Parliament and the EU Council political agreement on the trade mark reform package
- 02/03/2015 - PGI “Café de Colombia” protected against the trademark application “COLOMBUENO” for services
- 20/11/2014 - OHIM's answer to oriGIn's complaint on CTM NO 010167674 “PISCO”AND CTM NO 010167682 “PISCO SOUR”
- 14/11/2014 - Complaint CTM File Number: CTM No 010167674 “PISCO”and CTM No 010167682 “PISCO SOUR”
- 31/10/2014 - Letter of support to the PGI “Café de Colombia”
- 07/10/2014 - “Champagne” vs “Champagnotèque”, another interesting decision concerning GIs
- 02/07/2014 - Trademark "GORGO CAPRA" invalidated because considered an evocation of the PDO "GORGONZOLA"
- 26/03/2014 - oriGIn Complaint CTM File Number: CTM No 12025391 “CAFFE' COLOMBI MILANO LA PASSIONE PER L'ESPRESSO”, Complaints Unit, Office for the Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)
- 26/03/2014 - Queja de oriGIn Expediente: MC nº 10277549 “ALMA DE LA MANCHA”, Unidad de Quejas, Oficina de Armonización del mercado interior (OAMI)
- 07/03/2014 - oriGIn Comments to the OHIM Draft Guidelines for trademarks examination of Work Package 2
- 20/01/2014 - Comparable products under the OHIM practice
- 19/09/2013 - A step forward for the protection of Gruyère
- 27/03/2013 - The Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI) cancelled the trademark “Strawberries & Champagne” in defence of the designation of origin “Champagne”
- 06/02/2013 - Letter to Mr. António Campinos, President of the Office for the Harmonization of the Internal Market (OHIM), on the OHIM's practice regarding the protection of PGIs and PDOs against trade marks for services
- 2013 - oriGIn's comments to the USPTO Draft Examination Guide for Geographic Certification Marks
- 2013 - Draft version of the USPTO examination guide on geographic certification marks
- 30/03/2012 - Carta para Patricia Gamboa Directora de Signos Distintivos Instituto Nacional de Defensa de la Competencia y de la Protección de la Propiedad Intelectual (INDECOPI) sobre la Promoción de las Denominaciones de Origen en Perú para incrementar la competitividad de los productos de las zonas rurales
- 30/01/2012 - The USPTO: Encouraging step towards better protection of marks certifying geographical origin
- 31/05/2011 - Paper on the management of trademark applications conflicting with geographical names protected at the EU level by the Office for the Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)
- 24/08/2009 - Letter to Mr.Charlie McCreevy, Commissioner for Internal Market and Services European Commission on Evaluation of the trade mark system in Europe and relation between PDOs/PGIs and National and Community trademarks
- 31/07/2008 - Carta para D. Alberto Casado Cerviño, Director de la Oficina Española de Patentes y Marcas (OEPM) sobre las solicitudes de marcas que contengan Indicaciones Geográficas Protegidas
- 17/07/2008 - Answer of Mr. Jon W. Dudas, Under Secretary and Director of the USPTO to oriGIn’s letter on Trademarks Applications containing Protected Certification Marks
- 02/07/2008 - Letter to Mr. J.Miranda de Sousa, Director of General Affairs and External Relations Department of the Office for the Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM)
- 18/06/2008 - Letter to Ms Meltzer, Director of USPTO on Trademark Applications containing Protected Certification Mark
- 10/06/2008 - Declaración de oriGIn en apoyo de la IGP Cítricos Valencianos