At the end of 2020, the European Commission published the Inception Impact Assessment (IIA) on GI protection at EU level for non-agricultural products.
oriGIn has sent its contribution to encourage the Commission to choose the policy option of a harmonized sui generis system at the EU level for non-agricultural GIs, with the following characteristics:
- The future system should require the proof of a solid link between the products (whose names are the object of a request of protection) and their geographical area;
- It should provide simple and transparent procedures;
- It should assign “groups” responsibilities in terms of submitting applications, as well as protection and promotion;
- It should provide a solid level of protection and enforcement mechanisms;
- It should provide credible and independent controls.
To follow the debate on non-agricultural GIs in the EU, please consult the dedicated page of our website.