On December 11, 2023, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and oriGIn will co-hosted the “Fourth Regional Consultation on Geographical Indication in Europe and Central Asia – Virtual”.
The online meeting is organized in the context of a project of the FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia to support an informal regional technical network on promoting quality products linked to geographical origin and geographical indication (GIs), as part of FAO’s Regional Initiative on improving agrifood trade and market integration. This consultation will therefore present existing studies, guidance and tools in relation with crucial topics: sustainability performances, examination of GI request, and certification , and will utilize country specific panel discussions to share experience and discuss perspectives on related topics.
For full details see:
The speakers’ presentations:
Importance and modalities for GI controls :
- Ms. Nathalie Vucher, international expert on geographical indications, former President of Control Board at INAO
- Ms. Gonca Ilıcalı, TURKPATENT
- Mr. Dragan Brenjo, Food Safety Agency, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Considerations for strategic and operational marketing of geographical indications
- Mr. Pascal Bernardoni, International expert, REDD, Switzerland
- Mr. Selim Çağatay, Local Products and Geographical Indications Turkey Research Network (YÜciTA)
- Mr. Matthew Gorton, Newcastle University, UK
Panel Discussions by group of countries
- Mr. Simion LEVIȚCHI, State Agency on Intellectual Property, Moldova
- Ms: Alexandra Grazioli, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Working with GI groups and policy makers to embark in a sustainability journey