The International Conference on GIs took place on 6 October in the framework of the oriGIn 2023 Biennial Meeting.
Below, you will find the program, including the speakers’ presentations available.
Panel discussion on five crucial GI-related topics which will shape the future of the sector.
Moderator: Mr. Massimo Vittori, Managing Director, oriGIn.
- The EU GI review, Mr. Paolo De Castro, Member of the European Parliament.
- The expansion of WIPO Geneva Act: Perspectives and challenges, H.E. Mr. Pedro Bravo Carranza, Minister, Deputy Permanent Representative of Peru to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva.
- The new EU Regulation on GI protection for craft and industrial products, Ms. Katarina Kompari, IP Legal Specialist, Legal Department, European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
- Trade policies and intellectual property: Risks and opportunities for GIs, Mr. John Clarke, former Director of International Relations, Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission.
- GIs facing climate change: threats and strategies of response, Mr. Sébastien Breton, General Delegate, Conseil National des Appellations d’Origine Laitières (CNAOL).
Topics of parallel sessions – Round 1:
- An update on the EU GI review, coordinated by Ms. Amandine Legros, EU Representative, oriGIn and Mr. Federico Moncunil Gallo, Secretary General, Origen España with a presentation by Mr. Francisco Javier Maté Caballero, Deputy Director General of Food Quality Control and Agri-Food Laboratories at the Ministry of Agriculture, Spain.
- Exchange of experience on craft and industrial GIs, coordinated by Mr. Yves Bugmann, Head of Legal Division, Federation of Swiss Watch Industry with presentations from the EU by Mr. Laszlo Adam Vass, Legal and Policy Officer, DG Grow, EU Commission and Ms. Delphine Marie-Vivienne, Deputy Director of UMR Innovation, CIRAD, from Mexico by Mr. Castor Estrada, Director General, Instituto del Artesano Michoacano.
- How to strengthen GI groups and controls in developing countries, coordinated by Massimo Vittori, Managing Director, oriGIn, with presentations of cases from Indonesia by Mr. Giovanni Galanti, Coordinator Arise+ Indonesia, from Peru by Mr. Edwin Pizarro Huamán, President, Marasal S.A. and Mr. Nicolas Mezzalira, Director PIAF Solutions, from Italy by Mr. Carlo Costa, CFO, Consorzio Grana Padano.
Topics parallel sessions – Round 2:
- Incorporating sustainability in GI strategies, coordinated by Ms. Valerie Pieprzownik, Expert on GIs, FAO and Luis Fernando Samper, Sustainability Manager, oriGIn, with presentations from Peru by Mr. Gino Marín Ciriaco, Regulatory Council, Café Villa Rica DO and Mr. Anaximandro Rojas Gil, Presidente de APPCACAO, Cacao Amazonas DO, from Mexico, by Mr. Carlos Fernando López de la Cruz, Sustainability Manager, Tequila Regulatory Council (CRT), from France by Mr. Sébastien Breton, General Delegate, Conseil National des Appellations d’Origine Laitières (CNAOL).
- The implementation of the Geneva Act: a practical perspective, coordinated by Ms. Alexandra Grazioli, Director, Lisbon Registry, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and Mr. Erik Thevenod-Mottet, Legal Counsel, Swiss Federal Intellectual Property Institute (IPI).
- Trade, health and IP: Geneva as capital of GI global governance, coordinated by Ms. Daniela Giglio, Legal and Institutional Affairs Department, AssoDistil and Mr. Cormac Healy, Director, Drinks Ireland.